Sunday 6 September 2009

Sad, but Happy Day

I hate going to funerals, I get so upset, especially when the person that has passed away was a close friend. On Friday, it was Neville King's funeral. I have sung his praises before. He was a wonderful man and a great entertainer, not to mention, a close friend.
I was asked to speak at his funeral, but felt that I wouldn't be able to do that, because I was too upset over his death. So I agreed to say a few words and do a bit of comedy for his family and friends at the Village Hall after the service.
The funeral turned out to be a wonderful celebration of his life, with everyone singing old songs and musicians playing his favorite tunes. Johnny Casson told a few stories about Neville, and Bernie Clifton made an emotional speech. Tributes from Ken Dodd, Norman Collier and Jimmy Tarbuck were read out. Neville was then buried in the village cemetery, beneath a beautiful tree.
Everyone then went to the Village Hall, where we could have a drink and talk about our memories of Neville. I then got up and did a short comedy set, which was requested by Neville's wife, Joanie. We all had a good laugh, just as he had wanted.
It was a sad, but wonderful day and a fitting tribute to a fantastic man. I, along with many people, will never forget him.
On a lighter note, I am flying to Italy today to do a show on board The "Legend of The Seas". I then get straight off and fly back to the UK. So I'm doing a cruise that doesn't go anywhere! You know me and my fear of flying, well it would have been better if the plane didn't move, but the ship did!!!!! I'm not that lucky though.
Take care,
Mick

No comments:

Post a Comment